Blog #1 : Dream Away

Dream Away 



The American Dream differs from person to person. One's background or upbringing can influence his or her perspective on what the ideal American Dream is. In his article, "American Dreams", journalist, Ian Brown, asks several Americans to describe his or her American Dream. Perspectives given by a wide variety of people offer a range of hopes and dreams for a certain lifestyle. For many, when the American Dream comes to mind, they associate it with wealth and fame. However, Brown emphasizes the individuality between people and their own understandings of what the American Dream is. This idea is unique to everyone, but concepts such as equality and peace are prevalent in peoples' responces. Similar to others, I hope for equality and peace, but also the opportunity to travel. It is often difficult to summarize your personal vision of the American Dream, but I have crafted my own and I hope I can fulfill it one day. 

My understanding of the American Dream is fairly simple. I desire to travel the world and go beyond the measures of materialism. Many dream of fame and wealth, but this materialistic mindset is not in my vision. I dream of living a life that is fulfilling and happy. 

I have already started to embark on my American Dream and have traveled to Europe over this past summer for a month. The above photo is of myself infront of the London Bridge and to me, this photo represents my independence. At only 18 years of age, traveling by myself was nerve-racking at first, but I needed to face my fears in order to make my dream become a reality. I met many new people from all over the world and was able to partake in their diverse cultures. I hope to visit 30 countries before I am 30 years old; this goal of mine puts my American Dream into a more reachable standard.  

I find true happiness in traveling and I believe happiness is the foundation of the American dream. After all, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are the principles stated in the Declaration of Independence and which America was founded by. If I am able to incorporate happiness into my American Dream then I have achieved it. I have definitely caught the travel bug and wish to continue to travel to many amazing places and experience a wide range of diverse cultures, foods, and practices. I hope for a life of health, happiness, and the opportunity to travel.  


Comments

  1. I enjoy your idea of the American Dream and your ability to look past the material things in life. It’s amazing how you know what your American Dream is and have already embarked on your journey to fulfilling it and leading yourself down this path at such a young age. You have obviously shown the individualism part of the American Dream by venturing to Europe by yourself, but you have also shown the hard work, dedication and courage that it takes as well. I agree that it is all about finding what makes you happy and chasing it, but it also takes learning from your mistakes and listening to those around you whether it’s helpful advice or criticism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have dreamed of travel all my life, I think. Getting married so young, we just didn't have the money. Paying for cars and education took priority, and then we had kids. I didn't make it over to Europe until a couple of years ago. I'm glad you get to explore so many different cultures.

    Hmmm. Even as I write this, I think that perhaps we could have made travel a priority over some other things if this had been one of our top dreams. Sorry. It's early, and my mind is going all over the place.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #8: Two Different Sides